POSTED ON December 1st - POSTED IN Ratings: Class B
Top 10 Class B Teams in Meets / Preseason 2017-18
- Omaha Skutt Catholic
- Wahoo/Cedar Bluffs
- Raters: Tom Scott Gothenburg & Derek Garfield Fairbury
- Skutt Catholic: Omaha Skutt Catholic again opens the season as the favorite to win the 2018 Nebraska State Tournament. They are loaded with veterans and have added some nice young pieces to an already talented squad. Look for returning state champions Billy Higgins and Caleb Lazure to lead the way in Skutts powerful lineup.
- Hastings: Hastings has spent the last couple of years re-loading and are on the verge of something special. With the talented trio of high placers Connor Laux, Damen Pape, and Bryce Brown, they should have plenty of firepower to hang with the states best.
- Sidney: Anytime you have one of the states best wrestlers in soon to be 4-time state champion Derek Robb you have to be in the discussion for a top 3 tem finish. Sidney is not a 1-man show however. Heavy hitters Trey Arellano and Caden Vowers will help ensure that Sidney has a high state finish
- Wahoo: Wahoo is building quite a powerful team the last couple of years. They did take some hits to graduation but return 5 state qualifers including State Champion Jake Sutton. They also are fully stocked with quality wrestlers and look for big things from Tucker Hancock and 2-time state qualifier Zane Bennett who is set to bring home a state medal.
- Lexington: Lexington enters the season with a high number on their team roster which should give them plenty of depth to make a top-5 run. They will be lead by state medalists Thomas Margritz, Brady Fago, and Andy Rojas and also look for big things from heavyweight Jade Wurth who will be in the mix for a high state finish.
- Scottsbluff: It appears that Scottsbluff has lost a key component to their tough line-up with word being that Salem Harsh is no longer on the team. They do still have a talented line-up and will be in the hunt for a top 5 team finish.
- Blair: Blair has quietly been building a great program with the help of 2-time state runner-up Walker Moore. They are not a 1-man team though as they have 5 returning state qualifiers and we expect big things from returning qualifiers Dalton Lewis and Zach Orton.
- Beatrice: Coach Jordan Johnson is building a really good program for the Orangemen. They have some talented veteran wrestlers returning with 5 returning state qualifers and have one of the states best light weight wrestlers in freshman Drew Arnold. Beatrice could easily make a run at the top-5 this season.
- York: Another year and another talented York Duke Wrestling Team. Coach Chad Mattox has a big reason to have high hopes this year. By big we are talking about Heavyweight wrestler Noah Stafursky. From all indications, Stafursky is set for a big season and could be at the top of the podium by seasons end. Also through into the mix returning State Runner-Up Scott Fulsos and the Dukes should piggy back off of a great fall season with a state championship in football to having a great wrestling season.
- Holdrege: Holdrege enters the season with a very seasoned varsity line-up. Senior Hunter Brenn looks to be a big piece to the Dusters line-up and heavyweight and Bronson Titus should be a tough 220 pounder. Preston Melroy looks to be the odds on favorite to bring home an individual state championship for the Dusters. When you have high medalists like the Dusters do, a top 10 finish at the state tournament is a definite possibility.
Top 10 Class B Teams in Duals / Preseason
- Omaha Skutt Catholic
Raters: Tom Scott Gothenburg & Derek Garfield Fairbury